Friday, September 7, 2018

Frida Kahlo

I think Frida Kahlo’s paintings critically addresses a cultural and social issue, especially the art called “Self-portrait with cropped hair.” Unlike the other self-portraits, Frida does not dress feminine; she wears a large black suit with short, masculine hair. The scissor which is held in her hands indicated that she cut her hair by herself.

According to Whitney Chadwick's Women Art and Society: “Men look at women. Women watch themselves being looked at.” Also, according to www.fridakahlo.org, Frida drew the self-portrait after she divorced her husband. The lyrics that were painted on the top of the painting say: “See, if I loved you, it was for your hair, now you're bald, I don't love you anymore.” Due to the fact that Frida looks masculine in the self-portrait which is contradicted to what men usually feel attract to, I think it is Frida’s way states that she no longer cares about how men look at her; from now on she will be the master of her own life, and she and only she can decide how she wants to look like.

And that is the reason why I chose this painting to put on my first blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment