Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Female Artist Assignment


April Bey is an African American Artist/ feminist I decided to go with because of her work
[which includes videos, photography, and graphic designs] makes me feel something I can relate too. Bey chooses to capture relatable and unforgettable moments of my childhood and personal times in my life that made me who I am today. Being an African American female, you are expected to be held up to certain standards and the photos below help express those standards. For the longest Black Women use to wear creamy crack a.k.a relaxers in their hair [last photo]. To blend in with societal standard get a weave sew into their hair so we can "blend" in. "I will not comply" express that we no longer are expected or have to live up to those standards we can express ourselves however we see fit. 


Basic Sew in with minimal leave out
Free Spirit
Cream crack (Relaxer, Perm) I am not my hair.. should not define who you are as a person

No comments:

Post a Comment