Monday, October 8, 2018

Marren Hassinger

Art is something that can vary from being very daring yet subtle at the same time. That's what I felt when Maren Hassinger presented to our class. In the beginning, she didn't really catch my attention. I couldn't grasp onto the ideas that she was so passionate about but then it stuck out to me. When she spoke about pink trash, I was immediately fascinated. The idea of pink trash fascinated me because there isn't as much exposure from creators with a platform when it comes to the destruction of the earth as there should be. To be able to use her passion in art and create something involving real world problems, says a lot about who she is as an artist.
Whole Cloth, 2017, Maren Hassinger
When looking at Hassinger's artwork, you have to pay attention to detail. When I did further research, I found her piece called "Whole Cloth". This consisted of Muslin strips being dyed with tea and coffee. This piece of art was made to shed light on equality. Although there are different colors being presented, they all mend together well. Proving that regardless of where and how you were brought up, we're all essentially the same. I bring this up because it is so different than her work with pink trash bags. Maren connected with the discussions we have in class for the simple reason that her artwork is different. During class, we talk about women artists who go against the norm and do the things they love. Maren doesn't need a lot of resources to create something meaningful, just like how the women we've spoken about barely had the resources to make something out of themselves but still succeeded.


No comments:

Post a Comment