Monday, October 8, 2018

MAREN HASSINGER

Maren Hassinger, Blanket of Branches. 1986.

Being able to interact with an artist first hand was an amazing experience, it was very inspiring to see Maren Hassinger share her art with us and allow us to have an open space for discussion. However my personal opinion is that I was left with a lot of questions, Hassinger had very creative pieces and throughout the years has presented with many sculptors but with no meaning behind them. Through her presentations she showed us art that had much connection with occurring events, despite the fact that one is entitled to its own opinion, and plenty of it had deeper meaning.

When  the floor was open to questionnaires it was quite awkward because when confronted about the symbolism behind her art she bluntly said her art was “just as is”. Respectfully, I believe art is an inspiration and it is what drives an artist. In no way am I insinuating that her art is irrelevant nor am I telling Hassinger how to identify it, but I was left unstable when I tried relating to her art. It was different to see an artist portray their creations without a meaning, yet I applaud Hassinger for her sculptures / creations it was very unique on how natural it was built. I can see her passion shown through the sculptures.  While they don’t hold any meaning, in my opinion  it is rich in symbolism.If i had the opportunity to speak with Hassinger it would be an honor to discuss the process of her creations and what inspires her to continuously create.

No comments:

Post a Comment