Saturday, October 6, 2018

Maren Hassinger’s art

I think Maren Hassinger’s art is breathtaking. I am not an art major. I did a little research on Maren while when I first know that Maren likes to use rope and wire in her sculptures, I was confused. I did not know how can anyone combine those things into fine artwork. However, the way Maren presents truly caught my eyes.




One of my favorite artwork from Maren is “Detail of Consolation,” which is made out of 100 units of 16 inches wire and wire rope. When I used to think about wire, I always think they are hard and cold, but after Maren’s design, the whole thing looks delicate and extremely tender, which got me related to the idea of patriarchy we have been discussing. If something hard can be fragile, can the opposite be true too?

Patriarchal society believes women are weak, but the truth is that sometimes women are stronger than men. The other reason why I think Maren’s artworks are amazing is that she does not need to use luxury materials to make fine arts. Lots of her arts are made out of ropes, papers and wires, which makes me feel like the most beautiful thing exist in our daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment