Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Maren Hassinger


I love presentations because I am a visual learner. And to have an artist explain her process and then go on to study art was immensely beneficial.

When this assignment was posted, I knew I wanted to write about her piece Pink Bag filled with Breath and Love notes. In class I asked her if she would opt to use a more environmentally friendly material if she were to remake the piece and she had said no, because the plastic bags were clear. And I’m sure she has other reasons to prefer those plastic bags, but I have to say, I disagree with her. The piece, without a doubt is beautiful, both aesthetically and symbolically, but art is a creative expression of oneself (and also those plastic bags are terrible for the environment.) In my opinion as someone who has never sculpted before, I would think to use pink paper bags instead or maybe, at the least, recycled plastic bags. I realize that I have never sculpted before, and I am well aware that Hassinger is much more qualified to make decisions like these, but I still feel that next time it would be better to use another material.


I know I sound like I am complaining about her, but overall, I really did love her presentation. I thought that she was a wonderful woman and I loved how she had us do a bit of yoga before we started and I especially loved her other pieces like Pink Trash or her exhibition “Monuments”, but I had to get this off my chest. Because, after the class had ended I thought about this for a while and I know that for the same reasons I think she should use and alternative material, she can also argue that those plastic bags are necessary.


Obviously her presentation was relevant to our class because she is a female artist, and the topics her artwork covers is very pertinent to what we are learning. She had numerous pieces that were about women and love which, of course is our entire class! She is an embodiment of how hardwork and perseverance can create something groundbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment