Monday, November 26, 2018

Brooklyn Museum

Visiting The Dinner Party Exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum this last Saturday was very impressive. The installation was beyond what I was expecting to see in my mind. Walking into the darkened chamber accompanied by the red, black, and gold toned details of the art piece captured a vibe in the environment of the room that would possibly be overseen and unfelt unless experienced in person.



The monumental work of the art beautifully employed many minor yet well thought out mediums, such as ceramic chinaware presented on intricately needle worked runners based on needlework techniques related to the time in which each woman lived. Each place mat setup designed and designated for every artist had a deep meaning behind what was on their dish. What I found interestingly paired to the massive banquet table in the shape of a triangle was that beneath it was layered an immerse Heritage Floor composed of an additional 999 important women whose achievements were also underrecognized owing to their gender.


I additionally spent some time viewing the Ancient Egypt Gallery on the third floor during my visit to the Brooklyn Museum. The display of the “Mummy Cartonnage of a Woman” From Hawara, Egypt particularly stood out to me. It depicted a woman with a Roman hairstyle, earrings, necklaces, fringed shawl, and serpent armlets. it stood out to me about how women in Egypt were depicted compared to the message of The Dinner Party Installation I visited just prior to it, where women were unappreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment